Big news: LYC teacher Andrea Messina will be joining the retreat and will be offering an option for those of you who want to take Hatha/Vinyasa yoga classes instead of (or in addition to) the Kundalini classes!
Yoga and culture combined. Eight days in Old Havana and Viñales, Cuba, in this specially designed people-to-people yoga retreat focused on exploration, community development, sustainable agriculture, and getting a glimpse of the “real” Cuba.
Info meeting on Thursday September 7 at 6 pm. Price goes up on October 1–no exceptions or discounts.
February 17-24, 2018
See the detailed itinerary here.
Join us for an 8 day/7-night exploration of Cuban culture. We’ll bring our yoga practice to the rooftops of Old Havana, the lawns of one of Havana’s majestic fortresses, and the homes of residents of the UNESCO World Heritage town of Viñales. Between yoga classes, we’ll visit some of Havana and Viñales top sites, meet locals, enjoy walking tours, and lace up our boots for optional hiking and horseback riding.
This trip will offer a perfect balance of organized activities and free time. You’ll have several afternoons and evenings off to pursue optional independent interests or participate in group yoga classes and other activities. A Cuban guide and translator will be provided.
Tour highlights – all included in the price:
- Lodging in locally-owned small hotels (hostales) in Havana and private residences in Viñales.
- Meals in select restaurants to provide a wide range of culinary experiences
- Fully guided walking tour of Old Havana
- A visit to an organic farm in Viñales Valley
- A trip to Cueva del Indio (caves), offering breath-taking views over Viñales Valley
- Las Terrazas, a nature reserve in Pinar del Rio Province
- Cafetal Buena Vista, an ancient coffee plantation that was run by African slaves
- A meeting and private lunch with José Fuster, one of Cuba’s most acclaimed modern artists
- Meetings at a local health clinic, a community youth project in Havana and a stop at Callejón de Hamel, Havana’s epicenter for Afro-Cuban art
- An evening performance of the Buena Vista Social Club at the acclaimed Café Taberna
- Private transport in air conditioned buses
- One to two yoga classes daily
- All breakfasts, 5 lunches and 4 dinners are included
- Airfare to Havana (approximately $350 r/t from the DC area)
- Cuban visa ($100, can be purchased at the airport in Miami or Fort Lauderdale)
- Optional activities such as guided hikes, horseback riding, museum entries, etc.
- Additional meals, drinks, snacks, souvenirs, and incidental purchases as desired
- Gratuities for guides
- Optional travel insurance
This trip is being run in conjunction with Cuba Explorer, a long-time provider of people-to-people cultural trips to Cuba. The itinerary has been exclusively crafted to meet the needs and desires of Lighthouse’s yoga community. This trip is fully legal for US passport-holders.
Space is limited to 16 participants.
Cost: $2450 if registered and paid in full by October 1, 2017 including cash/check discount. Credit card price: $2570.
Full price: $2595 if paid after October 1, 2017 including cash/check discount. Credit card price: $2725.
A $400 deposit is required to hold your space.
Registration deadline: January 2, 2018
Refund policy: Refunds are available prior to October 1, 2017 minus a $100 service fee. Between October 1 and January 2, refunds of up to 50% of the cost of the tour will be available. No refunds after January 2, 2018.
Payment by check is requested. We’re working with a Cuban agency and US credit cards aren’t accepted in Cuba. If you prefer to pay by credit card, a transaction fee of 5% will be added to your payment and Lighthouse will issue a check to the agency on your behalf. (Credit card
To register, send a copy of the attached cuba retreat registration form to Lighthouse Yoga Center, c/o 822 Crittenden St NW, Washington, DC 20011 with a $400 check to Lighthouse Yoga Center. Full payment is due on or before January 2, 2018.
The trip is being coordinated by USA International Travel, a DC-based travel agency specializing in cultural exchanges with Cuba.
Airfare to Havana from the DC area is generally between $300 and $450, depending on airlines and routing. We encourage you to watch for fare sales and book accordingly. We recommend flying on Southwest through Fort Lauderdale and will send out flight booking info as we get closer to departure.
Teacher/leader: Jiwan Shakti Kaur (Julie Eisenberg) ERYT-500 is the owner of Lighthouse Yoga Center and a long-time Kundalini Yoga Teacher and Professional Teacher Trainer in Washington, DC. She has lived and worked in Latin America for many years and speaks fluent Spanish. Her love affair with Cuba was sparked after her first visit in the 1990’s as part of a volunteer delegation. When she returned to the island in 2016 and saw how the tourist industry had blossomed, she felt compelled to help others experience the joys and surprises of our Caribbean neighbor.