Yoga + culture in Cuba! Eight days in Old Havana and Trinidad, Cuba, in this specially designed licensed (legal) Educational Tour yoga retreat focused on exploration, community development, sustainable agriculture, and getting a glimpse of the “real” Cuba. Registration is open. Please complete this cuba retreat registration 2019 form to sign up.
February 16-23, 2019
Join us for an 8 day/7-night exploration of Cuban culture. We’ll bring our yoga practice to the rooftops of Old Havana, the majestic seawall on Havana’s shore, and the beach and mountainside of the UNESCO World Heritage town of Trinidad. We’ll start the day with your choice of Kundalini or Hatha yoga classes, followed by a visit to some of Havana and Trinidad’s top sites to meet locals, enjoy Cuba’s up and coming gastronomic scene, and lace up our boots for optional hiking and horseback riding.
This trip will offer a perfect balance of organized activities and free time. You’ll have several afternoons and evenings off to pursue optional independent interests or participate in group yoga classes and other activities. A Cuban guide and translator will be provided. For some background on why we’re going to Cuba, check out our blog here and here.
Price: $2795 for a shared room. Traveling alone? We’ll match you with a roommate of the same gender.
Single supplement: $155. Single rooms sell out quickly.
Tour highlights – all included in the price:
- Lodging in locally-owned small hotels (hostales) in Havana and Trinidad.
- Meals in select restaurants to provide a wide range of culinary experiences
- Fully guided walking tour of Old Havana
- A tour of the French colonial town of Cienfuegos
- A day in the colonial gem of Trinidad to immerse yourself in the past
- Stop at the Bay of Pigs (Playa Girón) to learn about the US intervention in Cuba
- An exploration of Afrocuban and Santería culture and history
- A meeting with the children at a Boys and Girls Club in Centro Havana
- An evening performance of the Buena Vista Social Club at the acclaimed Café Taberna
- Private transport in air conditioned buses
- All breakfasts, 5 lunches and 3 dinners are included
- Daily yoga classes, with a choice between Kundalini Yoga with Julie Eisenberg (Jiwan Shakti Kaur) or Hatha Yoga with Andrea Messina. On some days there will be an option for a second class.
- Airfare to Havana (approximately $479 r/t from the DC area)
- Cuban visa ($50-100, can be purchased at the airport in Miami or Fort Lauderdale)
- Optional activities such as guided hikes, horseback riding, museum entries, etc.
- Additional meals, drinks, snacks, souvenirs, and incidental purchases as desired
- Gratuities for guides
- Optional travel insurance
This trip is being run in conjunction with USA International Travel, a long-time provider of people-to-people cultural trips to Cuba. The itinerary has been exclusively crafted to meet the needs and desires of Lighthouse’s yoga community. This trip is fully legal for US passport-holders.
Lodging: We will be staying at comfortable boutique hotels in Old Havana. Single rooms are sold out, so when you book, please indicate if there is someone in particular you’d like to room with. Otherwise we’ll match you with someone of your gender.
Flight info: Stay tuned.
Airfare to Havana from the DC area is generally between $400 and $500, depending on airlines and routing. We encourage you to watch for fare sales and book accordingly. We recommend flying on Southwest through Fort Lauderdale and will send out flight booking info as we get closer to departure.
Teacher/leader: Jiwan Shakti Kaur (Julie Eisenberg) ERYT-500 is the owner of Lighthouse Yoga Center and a long-time Kundalini Yoga Teacher and Professional Teacher Trainer in Washington, DC. She has lived and worked in Latin America for many years and speaks fluent Spanish. Her love affair with Cuba was sparked after her first visit in the 1990’s as part of a volunteer delegation. When she returned to the island in 2016 and saw how the tourist industry had blossomed, she felt compelled to help others experience the joys and surprises of our Caribbean neighbor.
Teacher/leader: Andrea Messina, yoga teacher and life coach, teaches an uplifting style of yoga that emphasizes strength-building sequences, deep stretches and a connection to breath. Her teaching is informed by alignment based yoga, vinyasa flow, philosophy and life coaching. She believes that the yoga mat is a place to cultivate awareness and create a juicy metaphor for how you want to live most fully… in addition to getting sweaty and laughing a little. She completed her 200-hour Power Yoga Training at Go Yoga, her 100-hour Anusara Yoga Immersion at Capitol Hill Yoga and is a graduate of the Accomplishment Coaching Coaches Training Program. She completed Lighthouse Yoga Center’s 200-hour Hatha Yoga Teacher Training with Naomi Gottlieb-Miller.